Today I’m presenting a Konkani fish curry, with onion ginger base.This dish is also called Alle Piyav Ghashi in South Kanara.Cooking it in an earthen pot gives it more authentic flavor.
Alle Kande Ambat
I hope you all know about Konkani Cuisine.But still I’m going to share some information about this cuisine for those who have not heard about it.
Konkani Cuisine is one of the most delicious cuisines you could come across in India. It is strong in spice, red chilli powder, corianders, and prepared with coconut oil. It is prepared using a deep purple berry that has a pleasing sweet and sour taste , kokum and raw mango as souring agents along with tamarind and lime.
Since Konkani Cuisine is greatly influenced by fish recipes, it has a tremendous amount of dishes made with fish.The manner in which Konkani Cuisine prepares fish gives it another taste altogether.
So here’s the recipe of Konkani fish curry with onion(kande) and ginger(Alle) base.
Red chillies, ginger, coriander seeds, kokum, green chillies, fenugreek seeds
Chopped onion, grated coconut, soaked tamarind
- White pomfrets-400gms, cleaned and cut into thin pieces
- 4 tsp coconut oil
- 1.5 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds + 1 pinch
- 5 whole dry red chillies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup fresh, grated coconut
- 1 ” ball of tamarind soaked in 1/2 cup of water
- 1″ ginger, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, slit at the center
- 2-3 dried sol, kokum
- Salt to taste
For the convenience I shall explain it in two parts,
- Wash the fish thoroughly, apply a little salt and set aside.
- Take a small pan, add 1 tsp of coconut oil and when hot, add 1-2 tsp coriander seeds,1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds, 5 whole dry red chillies. Saute lightly for 2′.
- Grind them with 1 cup of grated coconut, 1/4 of turmeric powder and soaked tamarind into a fine paste.
Saute whole dry spices for 2′
Roasted whole dry spices
Coconut paste made with roasted spices and grated coconut
#Step by step procedure
- Take a earthen pot, heat remaining coconut oil and add ginger, saute for a few seconds; then add finely chopped onion, saute till it runs translucent.
- Add a pinch of fenugreek seeds, 2 green chillies and saute.
- Add the coconut paste and fry for 2-3′ or till oil starts separating from the mix.
- Add 2 cups of water, bring it to a boil.Add 2 pieces of dried sol for added sourness.
- Add the fish pieces and let it come to a good boil. Adjust the salt to taste and cook till fish is done,the consistency of gravy should not be too thick or too runny.(don’t overcook the fish)
- Serve hot with plain rice.
Add finely chopped ginger, saute for a few seconds
Add finely chopped onion
Saute onion till it becomes translucent
Add green chillies and fenugreek seeds and saute
Add the coconut paste
Saute till the oil releases from the mix
Add 2 cups of water
Let it come to a boil and add 2 pieces of dried sol
Add fish pieces and let it come to a good boil
Adjust the salt to taste and cook till fish is done.The consistency of the gravy should not be too thick or too thin.(Note: Do not over cook the fish)
Serve hot with plain rice.
So friends, this is a simple fish curry which can be easily prepared at home, as all the ingredients used to make this dish are readily available at home.
Do try this and give me your feedback.
Happy cooking 😃