A stew is a combination of solid food ingredients that have been cooked in liquid and served in the resultant gravy.
Ingredients in a stew can include any combination of vegetables ( such as carrots, potatoes, onions,beans,peppers and tomatoes) or meat.Poultry,sausage and seafood are also used.While water can be used as the stew-cooking liquid,wine,stock and beer are also common.Seasoning and flavouring may also be added.
Stews may be thickened by reduction or with flour. Thickeners like cornstarch or arrowroot may also be used.
Stews are similar to soups and in some cases there may not be a clear distinction between the two.Stews have less liquid than soups and are thick enough to be served on a plate.
Stews have been made since ancient times.It is traditionally known as an English dish and has been a house hold favorite for centuries.Also Chicken Stew is an integral part of the kerala breakfast menu.Chicken Stew with appam(a type of pancake made with fermented rice batter and coconut milk) is considered to be an awesome combo.As this is mildly spiced and creamy,it is a perfect accompaniment for bread,palappam,kallappam or even rice pathiri(rice flat bread from Kerala).
Today I am going to share an easy and quick to make Chicken Stew recipe,made with Country chicken.
I always use Country chicken for preparing all kinds of chicken dishes.Let me tell you why –
- Country chicken is not just healthier but also tastier than Broiler chicken.It has a very varied diet and plenty of exercise and exposure to nature.This helps in developing the complexity of the meat’s flavour.
- Country chickens are fed a balanced diet of natural/agricultural/plant based materials like maize,soya and sunflower extracts,rice derivatives,greens, vitamins, minerals and the like.The feed doesn’t contain antibiotics, growth promoters, chemicals and other artificial boosters.
Now let’s get back to our recipe.To prepare this you need-
Chopped onion, garlic,ginger, green chilli,curry leaves and whole spices
- 1/2 kg chicken(as I said,have used Country chicken)
- 2tsp white vinegar
- 1 potato,cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1″cinnamon stick
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt to taste
- Boil the chicken in a pressure cooker along with white vinegar,salt, potatoes and water,till chicken gets cooked.
- Take a pan,add 1 tbsp oil to it.Add chopped ginger and garlic.Saute till the raw smell goes off.Add chopped onions green chilli and curry leaves.Saute till the onion turns transparent.
- Lightly pound the cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon.Add the spices to the sauted onion.Saute for 1′.
- Add the boiled chicken to the onion,cook well till the chicken is tender.
- Then add coconut milk and let it come to a boil.Mix it properly,add curry leaves and remove from flame.
- Now add coconut oil to the chicken (optional)and serve hot.
Pressure cook Country chicken, chopped potatoes,salt and white vinegar
Pressure cooked Country chicken and potatoes
Heat oil in a pan.Add chopped garlic and ginger and saute till raw smell goes off
Add onions, green chilli and curry leaves.
Saute till onions become transparent
Add lightly pound spices.Saute for 1′.
Add cooked chicken and potatoes
Add coconut milk
Bring it to a boil ,add curry leaves and remove from flame.
Add coconut oil and serve hot.
As I said you can serve it with bread, palappam, kallappam or even with rice pathiri.
This is very simple and easy to make.Any one can prepare it.Just follow the instructions step by step.And I’m sure it will definitely come out well in the very first attempt itself.
So friends do try it and enjoy this creamy, delicious Chicken Stew with family.
Happy cooking 😃