Cauliflower is a much loved vegitable in our Indian households.It’s my daughter’s favorite too,so I also make cauliflower dish at least once in a week.
Let me share with you all the health benefits of cauliflower.
- It contains an impressive array of nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other phytochemicals.
- Cauliflower contains some compounds like sulforaphane, indoles, isothiocyanate that show anti-cancer effects.
- It boosts heart health.
- It contains Indole–3–carbinol, an anti inflammatory compound that may operate at the genetic level to prevent the inflammatory responses at its foundation level.
- Cauliflower boosts out brain health as it’s a good source of choline.
- It is also an important source of dietary fiber.
Because of its beneficial effects on numerous aspects of health, cauliflower can easily be described as a super food.This is one vegetable that deserves a regular rotation in your diet.
Usually,the dishes in which I use cauliflower as main ingredients are gobi paratha,aloo gobi,gobi fry and gobi pakodas.l also add them in mixed veg kurma,pav bhaji and veg biryani,mixed veg rava upma and veg stew.
Today I tried something new i.e. Gobi Matar Masala.And I thought of sharing it with you all.In this dish I have used whole spices like caraway seeds ,cinnamon,green cardamom,star anise, black pepper and bay leaf (addition of whole spices gives it an exotic flavour).Along with that I also added nigella seeds (kalonji). It adds a beautiful aroma to the dish and comes with a whole lot of health benefits like it keeps your heart healthy, addresses breathing problem,lubricates your joints and is also known to have anti-carcinogenic properties.
Now let’s see what all ingredients we need to prepare this dish.
Cauliflower florets and green peas
Chopped onions, tomatoes, ginger,green chillies and garlic
- Cauliflower- 2cups (separated into small florets)
- Fresh green peas- 1 cups
- Oil- 2tbsp
- Tomato- 1 cup chopped
- Onion-1 cup finely chopped
- Green chilli- 2
- Garlic- 2tsp finely chopped
- Ginger- 1tsp finely chopped
- Nigella seeds- 1/2tsp
- Caraway seeds- 1tsp
- Cinnamon- 1″stick
- Green cardamom- 1
- Star anise- 1/2 of the fruit will b enough
- Black pepper- 5-6 corns
- Indian bay leaf- 1 medium sized
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri red chilli powder- 1/2tsp
- Coriander powder- 1tsp
- For garnishing- some chopped cilantro leaves.
- Separate the cauliflower into small florets.Wash them under running water and keep aside.
- Heat oil and add all the dry whole spices mentioned above.Saute them on low flame until the spices smell nice.Do not burn them.
- Then add chopped garlic and ginger.Saute them till the raw smell goes off.
- Now add chopped onions and green chillies.
- When it turns light brown,add chopped tomatoes.
- Cook the tomatoes on a low flame till they turn mushy.Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder.Stir and saute til the oil releases from the sides.(If you want u can add 1tbsp of water to that just to prevent spices from burning).
- Add green peas and cauliflower florets.
- Stir well so that green peas and cauliflower florets mix uniformly with onion tomato spice mix.
- Cover with a rimmed lid in which water could be added to prevent vegetables and onion tomato spice mix from burning.
- This method generates steam inside the pan which helps in cooking vegetables.So no need to add water.
- Do stir and check the veggie in between for doneness and add more water in the lid if it dries up.
- Cook it until vegetables get cooked.Once done,see if there is any extra moisture in the pan.If yes,then cook without the lid,until it dries up.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.
Saute dry spices till they smell nice
Add chopped garlic and ginger and saute till the raw smell goes off
Add chopped onions and green chillies till onions turn light brown
Add chopped tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy
Tomatoes turned mushy
Add all the masala powders
Saute till the oil releases from the sides
Add green peas and cauliflower florets
Cover it with rimmed lid,fill it with water to prevent burning.Cook till vegetables get cooked.
Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.
This Gobi Matar masala goes well with chapatis and phulkas.This is simple,easy to make and mildly spiced.
I hope u like this recipe.Do try it and give me your feedbacks.
Happy cooking 😃