Today I prepared Goan prawn curry,a popular dish through out the state.Before sharing the recipe I would like to give you some information about Goan Cuisine.
Goan Cuisine consists of regional foods in Goa.Rice, seafood,coconut, vegetables,meat,pork and local spices are some of the main ingredients in Goan Cuisine.Use of kokum is another distinct feature.It is similar to Malvani or Konkani cuisine.
The cuisine of Goa is influenced by its Hindu origins,the four hundred years of Portuguese colonization and Muslim rule that preceded the Portuguese.Many Catholic dishes are either similar to or variants of their Portuguese counterparts in both naming or their use of ingredients.
Goan food is considered incomplete without fish.King fish is the most common delicacy.Other seafood delicacies include pomfret,shark,tuna and mackerel.Among the shellfish are crabs,prawns, lobsters, squid and mussels.
Now coming back to my Goan Prawn Curry recipe,here in this curry I have used coconut milk as base and a spicy masala made up of grated coconut,garlic, ginger and other local spices.To make this dish we need following ingredients-
- Prawns-500 gms, shelled and deveined
- Coconut milk-2cups
- Onion-1 cup chopped
- Turmeric powder-1tsp
- Cooking oil-2 tbsp
- Green chillies-2
- Salt to taste
- Vinegar or lime juice-1/4 cup
- Grated coconut-1/2cup
- Garlic cloves-5-6
- Ginger-1tsp chopped
- Turmeric powder-1/2tsp
- Black pepper corns-6
- Whole coriander seeds-1tsp
For the prawn masala-
Grind together all ingredients with vinegar.
For the curry-
Prawns dusted with salt and turmeric
- Dust the prawn with turmeric and salt.Keep aside.
- Take a pan,add 2tbsp oil to it.Now add chopped onion.Saute till it becomes golden brown in color.
- Add ground masala and stir well.Cook until the oil separates from the masala mix.
- Add prawns and stir it constantly.Fry until it turns pink in color.
- Then add the coconut milk and bring it to a boil.Simmer for 8-10′ and garnish with green chillies.Serve it immediately with rice.
Goan Prawn Curry
I hope you all liked this recipe.Please do try it and let me know.
Happy cooking 😃