Mughlai dishes are famous for their rich aroma and succulent taste.These dishes come from Mughlai era.Whole/ground spices and clarified butter are the key ingredients that make these dishes unique. Nowadays also these dishes are prepared and served in the Muslim households.
So today I am going to post one of the famous dish from this special branch of cuisine, Mughlai cuisine i.e. Phirni.
Phirni is of a milky,creamy consistency.lt is served on special occasions.Here I’m sharing the recipe of Saffron Phirni.
The addition of saffron and nuts makes it healthy as well as tasty.And serving in earthen containers give it a special exotic appearance and taste.So to prepare Phirni we need-
Soaking time-45 minutes
Preparation time -5 minutes
Cooking time-35 minutes
- Milk- 3 and 1/2 cups
- Good quality rice-2tbsp
- Sugar-1/2 cup(1cup=240ml)
- Few almonds, blanched and chopped
- Few pistachio soaked,peeled and sliced
- 3-4 green cardamoms, powdered
- Few strands of saffron,soaked in hot water
- 1 drop of kewra essence
- Few pomegranate seeds and saffron strands for garnishing.
- Wash 2tbsps of good quality rice in water and soak them for 40-45′.
- Grind them to a very fine paste with 3-4 tbsps of water.
- Dissolve the rice paste in 1/2 cup of milk and make it thin.
- Mix the thin rice paste with the remaining 3cups milk in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Bring it to a boil and then reduce the flame and cook on low flame till it attains a creamy consistency.
- Now add sugar, simmer till the sugar dissolves completely.
- After 1′ add cardamom powder.
- Remove from the fire.Let it cool down a little then add 1 drop of kewra essence.
- Then pour it into serving earthen containers.
Keep it in refrigerator for 1hour.Serve chilled,decorated with saffron strands(or you can use saffron water,it will impart yellow color to it),nuts and pomegranate seeds.
Do give it a try …I’m sure you will enjoy it.
Happy cooking ☺